We are open and running all Surf Lessons including Private and Group Surf Lessons.
This document details the steps and procedures we have adopted to minimise risk of transmission of Covid-19, before, during and after surf lessons with Escape Surf School.
Safety and the well-being of our clients and staff is our highest priority and this overview aims to give our clients the confidence to return to the water with us, in a responsible and safe manner.
Our Private Lessons are ideal for members of the same household or “support bubbles”.
Our Group Surf Lessons are running, however there are some changes to these to ensure we are operating within guidelines – see below for further details of this.
We will continue to monitor and adhere to government advice relevant to our sector, and reserve the right the change our operating procedures and policies at any time.
Covid-19 Refund Policy
If you book a surf lesson and are unable to attend for one of the following reasons, then a “no questions asked” refund will be issued (unless of course you wish to reschedule to another date):
- You are ill and unable to attend the surf lesson
- Government advice means you are unable to travel to take part in the surf lesson.
You must contact us at least 24 hours prior to the surf lessons for this policy to apply.
Otherwise our standard refund policy applies, which can be found here:
Private Surf Lessons Operating Procedures
Private lessons are for those who do not need to socially distance, in other words, members of the same household and / or support bubbles.
The surf instructor does need to remain a minimum of 1 metre distance from you, however this will not impact the quality of the surf lesson you receive, as we will use clear communication and demonstration. We will still, where required and if appropiate, push you onto waves, but this process will involve pushing the surf board from the rear and not making any contact with the client.
Group Surf Lessons Operating Procedures
The government guidelines now advise that under the organised participation exemption, coaches can run events of up to 30 people. This means we can now operate at our standard group size, which is a maximum ratio of 8 students to 1 instructor. Our average is 5:1
Note: this is also applicable after the announcement made on the 22nd & 9th September, as "organised outdoor sports" are exempt from the ruling about gatherings of no more than 6: see the details here
Group lessons, by their nature, are a gathering of people from different households. Therefore we require all participants to make an effort to remain 2 metres away from each other during the surf lesson. However we understand that in the ocean, this can be difficult as the currents and waves can bring you closer. We ask that you stay alert and if you are becoming to close to a participant, please paddle or wade away.
The surf instructor must also be 1-2 metre distance from participants, however this will not impact the quality of the surf lesson you receive, as we will use clear communication and demonstration. We will, where required and if appropiate, push you onto waves, but this process will involve pushing the surf board from the rear and not making any contact with the clients
Before your Surf Lesson:
- All lessons must be booked online and paid for in advance via the online booking system
- All participants must complete the online waiver form, prior to the lesson. This will be emailed to you upon booking. Any non Covid related medical issues must be advised via email.
- If you or a member of your household show any symptoms of Covid-19, you must not take part in surf lessons or visit the surf school. Any cancellations due to this will be rescheduled or refunded. Communication regarding this must take place via email or phone
- Any staff members showing symptoms of Covid-19, will not attend the surf school.
On Arrival at The Surf School
- You may enter the surf school to “check in” and our staff will remain 1-2 metres away from you. we ask that once checked in you remain outside, until called into the changing rooms
- You will be required to wear a Face Covering when inside the surf school (at the reception desk). This is not applicable when outside and on the beach / in the water.
- All contactable surfaces in the surf school will be sterilized before and after each client visit.
- You will be issued a clean, dry, sterilised wetsuit, and allowed to change in the changing rooms, with a maximum of 6 people at any one time
- Once you’ve changed, then we ask that you leave the changing rooms promptly and wait outside, so we can sterilise and allow other clients to use the facilities.
- You will be issued a clean, disinfected surfboard outside.
During The Surf Lesson:
- All safety briefings, surf theory & demonstration will be performed outside.
- Please maintain a safe distance between yourself and other beach users, including the instructor and those participating in the surf lesson, both on the beach and in the ocean. Please see above for further details regarding this (Operating Procedures)
- We will maintain a safe distance between the instructor and yourself, both on the beach and in the ocean.
After The Surf Lesson
- You may use our showers and changing rooms to change back into your clothing, however we ask that you are patient and wait for others to leave before you enter the showers and changing rooms, and please ensure that you are distancing at all times. Of course you are always welcome to change outside.
- The equipment used will be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and dried after use. Equipment will rotated to ensure a minimum 24 hour period between use.
- The surf school will be thoroughly cleaned daily after all clients have left the premises.
It’s been proven that being outdoors dramatically reduces the risk of infection, therefore we are confident that by all participants staying alert, not staying close to each other for a prolonged period of time and by using common sense, and following the guidelines provided that any risks are absolutely minimised.
Obviously if you do have concerns, then please don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss these.